Friday, July 16, 2010

PIZZA AND BEER


What would a Friday night be for some of us without pizza and beer?

For vegans, it can be downright painful to watch friends and family down the gooey, cheesy, hot & yummy deliciousness that is pizza.

That leaves me and my beer...with a peanut butter and jelly sandwich cursing why I ever did this!!!!

Thanks to some new products out there and plenty of websites with recipes, pizza can now be ours, too!

So, there. Muuwaaahhhaaahhhaaaaaa!

I am very excited to go to my favorite local health food store today, 'Clark's Nutrition And Natural Foods Market' (www.clarksnutrition.com) and pick up a new melty vegan cheese product called 'Daiya'.

'Daiya' has gotten great reviews as, let's face it, good melty vegan cheese that contains no Casein (a milk protein found in many supposed 'dairy free' products. Again, this is why I label read...) is hard to come by.

I also found an easy & fun vegan pizza crust recipe on-line courtesy of VegWeb.com.

EASY VEGAN PIZZA CRUST:

Ingredients:

~2 cups unbleached flour (I'm a bit of a purist and prefer things as natural & organic as availability and budget allows)

~1 cup whole wheat flour

~1 tablespoon baking powder

~12 oz. beer


Directions:

*Preheat oven to 400 degrees (Fahrenheit -- not sure what it would be Celsius, sorry to say...)

*Mix all ingredients together (if dough is a little sticky and hard to work with, add a bit more flour)

*Spread out on a lightly greased 12" round pizza pan (or 12 x 18 baking sheet)

*Add pizza sauce, 'Daiya' vegan 'cheese', veggies &/or whatever else your heart desires (I'm going to try artichoke hearts, mushrooms, olives, red onions, bell peppers & maybe pineapple!)

*Bake for 20 to 25 minutes

**Serves 4

Enjoy with your favorite beer.

For dessert: try the vegan -- and quite tasty -- peanut butter, chocolate and banana cupcakes in my last post.

Being vegan doesn't have to mean deprivation of our favorite foods -- like I said in my introductory post to 'Rabbit Food' when people ask me what I eat since I don't eat meat or dairy (as if that's all there is): I eat everything else!

And you should too -- Friday night or not.

4 comments:

  1. Yum.....this sounds good. I was just thinking of you today, Im making a chicken dish tonight for dinner...and I was thinking, how could I make this vegan for Jo? recipe posted soon ;)

    hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would be happy, my friend, to try anything vegan you would make -- your culinary skills coupled with the love and thoughtfulness you put into everything are the key ingredients that make everything you do special.

    In my first post of 'Rabbit Food', I mentioned a product called 'Gardein' -- mostly they make REALLY good & tasty soy 'chicken' that I use to veganize chicken recipes.

    If you have any vegan friends or want to fake your non-vegan friends out, test it out & let me know the response. I think that would be a great & fun evening...'What's vegan & what isn't?' Especially with the cupcake recipe....

    Love you madly for thinking of me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jo: I dont know if I ever told yas, but I was vegan for over 5yrs, Im pretty familuar with the products....It might be time to dust off some of my recipes ;)Ill try this product out and let ya know.

    hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had NO Idea...now I'm wondering why you aren't anymore. Again, I honestly don't judge. Look who I live with: two Irish men who love their meats and cheeses!

    If you ever want to go back to being vegan (NO PRESSURE FROM ME ON THAT, THOUGH--HONEST!), I have GREAT cook books I can recommend. Why? Because I'm a terrible vegan cook--ha! I need them. :D

    But, I learn, research, write down recipes and try things out (again, as budget and availability allows) and am willing to share what I know.

    Hmmm...who do I sound like???? ;)

    Love you madly!

    ReplyDelete