Wednesday, August 18, 2010

THE HUMMUS COMETH


One of my favorite snacks is hummus with crackers. However, I simply HATE buying the packaged pre-made hummus when I can easily make my own for a fraction of the cost. I find the store bought hummus to be a little too strong in flavor and disliking to my taste.

Helping in my hummus endeavor is the fact that vegan crackers are in abundance and can easily be found in all markets.

Don't be afraid of the term 'vegan crackers' -- there are many name brands that you have loved for years that I would venture to guess you didn't even know were vegan:

'Wheat Thins' and 'Keebler Club Crackers' being my two favorites.
















Here is an easy hummus recipe, again for the fraction of the cost of store bought:

~Two cans of chick peas (garbanzo beans)

~2/3 cup water

~3 tablespoons of olive oil

~2 cloves of crushed garlic (or two teaspoons of jarred chopped garlic)

~1/2 small jar of pimentos -- or you may use a 7 oz. jar of sun dried tomatoes

~1/2 lemon

~Salt to taste

DIRECTIONS:

*Drain and rinse the two cans of chick peas thoroughly (they are very starchy and you will see them fizz when water is added, make sure to rinse completely until no fizz is left)

*Drain 1/2 of the jar of pimentos (or sun-dried tomatoes)

*Roll lemon to get the juices flowing (or put lemon in microwave on high for 10 seconds) and slice in half

**Add the chick peas, garlic, juice of 1/2 lemon, pimentos, water, olive oil and salt in food processor until smooth -- you want little to no lumps.

It is now ready to serve with your favorite crackers, pita bread/chips or veggies.

Feel free to change up the ingredients to your taste -- in this case, I would say it is perfectly okay to play with your food! ;)

Did you know....Hummus is a good source of protein?

Here's to a ho-hummus kind of day -- enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. OMG...I love humus....Im so making this, I have a recipe, but it doesnt call for the sundried tomato, interesting, cant wait to try it;)

    hugs
    Steven Anthony
    Man Dish~Metro Style

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoy, my dear friend!

    Oh, and a little hint: squeeze the lemon CUT SIDE UP to catch all the seeds in your hand so they don't go into the food processor. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm. I love hummus and think I might be able to manage this recipe even with my limited cooking skills!

    ReplyDelete